OMG this game loos so friggin cool :)
I would love to support the game. but I wanted to ask first... is this game in 32 or 64 bit on windows? :O
Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Rescue A Mysterious Island From A Mind-Warping Plague
(Content Warnings at bottom)
Nano Dust infects the islanders of New Theland, distorting their emotions and desires. You play as Nova, a Nano Cleaner who must explore the island, seeking out the sick and shrinking inside their bodies to suction up the Dust.
Anodyne 2: Return to Dust combines the thrilling scale and cinematic storytelling of 3D games with the tight design and easy-to-pick-up satisfaction of 2D Zelda-like adventures. With art that re-imagines the PS1 and N64 era, explore 3D cities, valleys, and wastelands then shrink into the varied 2D mindscapes of characters, from snowy, aurora-lit valleys to perilous volcanic construction sites!
- In 3D, jump, drive, and walk across gorgeous and haunting locales, speaking with strange and memorable characters.
- In 2D, use your Nano Vacuum to collect dust, suck up and fight enemies, all while overcoming mind-bending challenges related to the characters’ inner lives.
- Experience the thrilling and emotional story of Nova. Her destiny is clear: she is the Nano Cleaner who will save New Theland. But strange characters & painful experiences will put her loyalty to the test...
- Choose where you want to go! The sweeping vistas of New Theland quickly open up to exploration.
- The Cards you find on your journey will allow you to access the outer reaches of New Theland.
- No waiting for horses! Instantly transform into a car to quickly drive around the world.
- Use your Spark to shrink into the bodies of the infected, explore the 2D Zelda-like dungeons within, and heal them.
- Enjoy the lush, dreamy and breathtaking 3D and 2D landscapes painted and pixeled by artist Marina Kittaka.
- Listen to over 50 new songs influenced by countless genres by Melos Han-Tani, perfectly fitting the varied landscapes of Anodyne 2.
- A new game from the dream duo behind Anodyne 1, All Our Asias, and Even the Ocean.
A Lush, Surreal Lo-fi 3D and 2D World
Anodyne 2: Return to Dust uses modern technology to reimagine old 3D art of the PS1, PS2, and N64 era, as well as the 2D art of the GBA and SNES. Each area captures a strong visual mood, with new characters to meet and sights to see.
If you like exploring beautiful places and experiencing dramatic stories - Anodyne 2's world is ready for you to explore!
Do I need to play Anodyne 1?
Nope! Similar to the Final Fantasy franchise, there's no need to play the original Anodyne to understand the story in Anodyne 2: Return to Dust, but longtime fans will find connections between the two! If you'd like to check out both, you may want to purchase the Franchise Bundle!
Join our Discord to discuss the game here: https://discordapp.com/invite/analgesic
Purchase it at Bandcamp!
The game is also available on Steam.
Anodyne 2 supports Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Brazilian Portuguese.
Content Warnings (No Spoilers)
- Mild Horror, dead bodies, mild body horror, rare occasional language
Content Warnings (Spoilers)
- Body horror: In the 'good ending' of the game, the character C Visionary opens its body up into a spiky dragon mouth. It's not bloody but it might be upsetting to some.
- Mild Horror, Dead Bodies: In a late-game area in the desert, talking to an upside-down creature takes you to an area where the art style is much different. If you play here long enough there's a short 'chase' sequence that's akin to horror games, also the atmosphere is a little spooky. There's also something looking like a dead body later with a gargoyle beast implied to be eating it.
- This entire sequence is skippable if you don't want 100%. If you do want 100%, you have to play everything in the sequence up to the chase (which can be skipped without seeing the dead body)
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Release date||Aug 12, 2019|
|Authors||Melos Han-Tani, Marina Kittaka|
|Tags||3D, 3D Platformer, Exploration, Lo-fi, Pixel Art, Story Rich, Surreal|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Languages||German, English, Spanish; Castilian, Spanish; Latin America, French, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Chinese (Simplified)|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Xbox controller, Playstation controller|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $19.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Check out our new game Sephonie!Mar 17, 2021
- Vote for Anodyne 2 in the IGF Audience Choice category!Jan 28, 2020
- Anodyne 2 Coming August 12th!Aug 07, 2019
-  End of Q1 2019 UpdateApr 02, 2019
-  January 2019 UpdateJan 14, 2019
- Analgesic Connect, Holiday Sales! Subscribe to our Youtube.Dec 24, 2018
-  December UpdateDec 12, 2018
-  Beginning of November UpdateNov 07, 2018
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
OMG this game loos so friggin cool :)
Couldn't put it down. The PS1 style is beautiful. I played the first one front to end on Switch, so I had high expectations coming in and this was an even more amazing experience than I could have ever hoped for. This is the definition of a game with soul.
Simply the best I've ever played .
Incredible in its poetic narrative, its humour and its aesthetic.
The game awareness of it being a game made me smile so many times!
Thank you Analgesic for this wonderful piece of art
For anyone looking for a beautiful retreat into the dreams of dreamers, Anodyne 2 is it. Melos and Marina have done it again! Not only does this game provide you with a compelling story but also a sound track to take you along for the ride as you explore the vast worlds of New Theland with Nova. Over 15hrs of gameplay and I am still exploring. It is such a joy to have played the game and also recieved a glimpse into these developers creative genius with tons of developer extras!!! Please keep making such amazing games!
And now you have got to check out Anodyne (even if you have not played it), Even the Ocean, and All Our Asias!
This is one of the best games I've played in recent years. I loved the first game, and this takes everything I loved about and refines it into a superb gameplay experience. I really appreciate how the "dungeons" have been fine-tuned, keeping the core of puzzle solving and exploring but also fitting in well with overall game experience and story. And the overworld 3D was so fantastic! I'll admit I was worried when I first heard about, since many indie attempts at an expansive 3D feel empty or half-baked, but my worries were unfounded. The game creates a sense of life, that we are getting a glimpse of the world these characters live in, much like Ocarina of Time and Mario 64, back when playing them for the first time. And the music further fuels that sense of wonder and nostalgia.
Fantastic game, thank you so much!
I thought I'd try it for a few minutes and now I'm about 3 hours into the game. wow
That's how it was for me too. The first time, I booted the game up just to see if it would run on my Laptop and wound up playing it for like 5 hours. It's so good. :D
i think this is uh, absoloutely one of the best games i've ever played, thank you so much for making this. i love that its meaningful and emotional but also approaches game design with a rly playful and creative mindset,,,,its, its rly rly good, yall should be proud of this masterpiece
thank you!! glad you liked it. we are very proud of this game and what we achieved for sure!
this is the most beautiful game i've ever played, without exaggeration. thank you two for the incredible experience <3
A beautiful journey I'm extremely glad I went on. Thanks for telling this story y'all <3
no swap tool?
YOU HAD. ONE. JOB.
The game was awesome! Highly recommend you check it out.
Any chance we could ever expect a switch port? I'd love to play this a handheld console